Tuesday, August 16, 2011

This week in preschool #4 & #5

I got a little behind in my blogging, but we've still been doing preschool! Little one loves it and asks me all day when it's going to be time for school.  Next week we start having other kids come over 2x a week for 3 hour preschool.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time!!
Here's what we've done lately:

Sensory/describing
I put these items in a paper bag, one at a time.  Then, little one had to reach her hand in, and tell me what it felt like.  It was great practice for describing! I did have to prompt a little (bumpy or smooth? hard or soft?) Then, we wrote down her describing words on the paper in the right box.  She loved this!! We'll have to do it again!!
Objects used:
Keys, screws, mini duster, candle, rug gripper, squishy toy dinosaur, sandpaper and chalk.
 In an effort to get over my issues with art (I am terrible and can never think of cute things to do!), I let her spend one day painting.  Luckily for me, she thinks markers are paint.  I let her use graph paper to draw on, just to spice it up.
 Then I remembered why we don't use markers much.
 We introduced calendar time.  I just printed off a simple calendar and we put a sticker on each day.  We say the day of the week, then count how many days we've had in the month.  I colored the days Daddy doesn't go to work in yellow.  Next month, I'll put a little star or something on the days we have something fun happening.

 We did patterns with pipe cleaners and beads.

 We played with foam stickers
 Sorting by color




 Then by shape and size
 We played with rice - maybe not as educational, but definitely fun and a broom and vacuum make for easy clean up!

We did more writing practice - I'm trying to do this just to get her to practice the skill of getting her marks to go the way she wants them too.  This time, I put a dot at the top of each number and that helped her know where to start.  It really helped!



I'm normally not a huge fan of workbooks, but I found some at the dollar store, so I figured I'd give them a try.  She definitely like the picture ones, but not so fond of the writing pages.  Maybe next time I'll let her use a marker.  They are kind of lame, but for $2, it gives us something to do.
Finding the one that's different.  She then colored them to make the different one match, which I thought was a good idea,
Tracing practice.  

No comments: