Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Mantel before and after

I decided that my mantel decor needed a little shaking up.  I don't know what prompted it, but once I thought of it, I couldn't rest until it was done.  So after many google images searches, blog browsing and a few Goodwill trips, I am happy!

The before (sorry, I wasn't so good at taking pictures then).

I like the flowers in the center (from our wedding!), but the other decorations weren't colorful.  With white walls and white woodwork, I needed something that would stand out. 

I went shopping in my house and moved some candlesticks from the piano, but it needed more. 

I got a few vases at Goodwill and transformed them with jute (idea from Thrify Decor Chick) Cost : $3 for vases, $1 for jute, $1 for craft glue.

Then I read this post about transforming books and I had to do it! I don't have distress ink, so mine aren't as cute.  I'll probably do that one day, but I was all about keeping costs low.  I didn't have any books to use, so back to goodwill - $5 for 2 books, $2 for scrapbook paper.  I hated paying for books, but it allowed me to shop around for the sizes that I wanted. 
A little more shopping in my house and I found an awesome metal piggy that my sister gave me a few years ago as part of an inside joke.  It was perfect!

The results:

I'm still trying to decide how to arrange the books.
And of course, I'm practicing my photography skills.
The addition of the curtains my mom so graciously sewed for me helps a lot too.

Before:

After

Total cost of make over: $12 ($32 if you count the fabric for the curtains). 

I'm linking up!





9 comments:

trishtator said...

The vases totally pull it together. Nice job on those.

Nice pig also :)

christy mack said...

fabulous makeover! makes me wish i had a mantle :O)

One Life Many Journeys said...

Very cute jute covered vase. I found you by way of you commenting on my blog. Thanks for coming by.

Unknown said...

love the after it looks so so pretty, great pieces too. JGG

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your mantal looks so pretty! I really like the pieces covered with the jute.

Catherine O. said...

I love those vases, Lisa! Can I place an order for some?

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

your fireplace/mantel decor is very pretty! I like the way the book turned out. The vases look nice too! great job
gail

coastal cavegirl said...

I love it!! I'm having a twine themed link party over at my blog (http://thesimpler-life.blogspot.com) and I'd love for you to link this up!

coastal cavegirl said...

Your mantle looks great! Thanks for linking up to my "twine themed linky party"! :)