Monday, March 1, 2010

Shadow box update!

Thanks to my sister's suggestion, I made an awesome change to the not-quite-done shadow box/silverware tray. I don't have a before picture of when I spray painted it black - too excited to get started on it! It was a plain old silverware tray with an ugly white back and birch colored edges.

Here it is after I painted it. 














I liked the paint, but felt like something was off when I put the trinkets on.  I wasn't in love.














When I posted about it before, my sister suggested I modge podge some paper on it.  I tried it, figuring if I didn't work, I was out the $3 I spent at Goodwill.

I dug out my scrapbook stash and found some paper that looked like it would work.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of either kind to do the whole thing with one pattern.  So being too impatient to go to the store creative, I decided to mix and match 2 different papers. And um, AWESOME! I am in love with how it turned out. 














I love looking at all the little trinkets that have special meaning for us - the box my wedding ring was hidden when the hubby proposed, a trombone commemerating my years in band, some things the hubby picked up during his 2 year church mission to Germany.  All things I like to display but get lost on a big shelf.

I am still looking for some ribbon to put on the edges like my mom suggested (yea, I know who reads my blog!) but haven't found anything I love yet. 
I'm linking up!

The Girl Creative
The DIY Show Off


1 comment:

jen @ the inspiration studio said...

I love how the scrapbook paper really brightened up the shadowbox! It definitely made all the items 'pop' so much more! And how creative to use a silverware holder! I love it!