Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm no HGTV

When my daughter was a newborn and I was adjusting to being home all.day.long with nobody but a baby to talk to, I used to watch a LOT of HGTV. Like I had their schedule memorized. ANYwho, I always hoped to find great ideas that I could use to decorate my house. After a few months of watching, I came away with one great idea. They used a silverware tray to display a guy's collection of knick-nacks. We have some cute little trinkets that just get lost on a bookshelf.
After over a year of searching, I found this bad boy at Goodwill. I was so excited to get painting that I didn't take any before pictures. But it used to be maple colored wood with a white background.
When I painted it, I wondered if I had made a mistake.
- do I like the black?
-does it seem like something is missing?
-does the black make it hard to see the little figurines?
-does it need something else?
It's been sitting like this in my office for about 4 months because I have no idea what to do next. I would gladly appreciate any suggestions. I was hoping that posting about it would help me dig out of the rut, but it didn't. So for now I guess it'll go back to the project pile.

2 comments:

colleensewnsew said...

I like it -- I think the black makes the figures stand out, but black does retreat, so that is why you feel like you have a hole in the wall. Try putting some ribbon around it and maybe lining some of the back spots with colored felt or fabric to give it some pizzaz

Anonymous said...

What about some paper mod podged to the back? I felt the same way after I painted my shadow box black. It needs a little somthing.